Are you noticing that your dog is a little more plump than usual?
If your dog is above the average weight for their breed, you might want to consider helping them cut some weight for a happier, healthier life. We’ve gathered some tips on how to keep your overweight dog in shape.
- Measure out their meals. This is a good way to keep track of their food intake. If they are being free fed, it’s harder to see how much they have been eating per meal. Measure out how much they should be eating per meal and feed appropriately depending on size and breed. You can watch how much they’re eating by doing so.
- Consider low-calorie snacks. If you need treats for training, consider using smaller pieces and lower calorie snacks such as Charlee Bear Dog Treats. Certain fruits and vegetables would be another option such as carrots, apples, and blueberries. Be careful of what you feed them! Read our blog post on which foods you should avoid feeding your dog.
- Avoid feeding table scraps. It’s so easy to get carried away when feeding your dog table scraps during dinner; they always want more! We know it’s hard to resist those puppy eyes but this is a great way to cut out those unnecessary calories. These foods probably aren’t the safest for dogs to eat anyway.
- Keep your food and their treats away from their reach. How many times have you came back to your dinner only to realize that it’s all gone and eaten up by your dog? Your dogs might be smart enough to get to them without you even knowing. Remember to keep them out of reach!
- Go on a weight management diet. Several brands have specific formulas that are low in fat and high in fiber to help them maintain a healthy weight. As long as you follow the instructions on how much they should be getting fed, this is a great way to watch their diet.
- Exercise. This might be an obvious one, but a walk a day can really help keep them in shape! Dogs typically need about 30 minutes to an hour of exercise each day. Read our blog on the benefits of walking your dog. Not only does taking a walk help your dog, it can give you some fresh air and relieve some stress for you as well!
- Consult your veterinarian. If you have any questions on how to maintain a healthy lifestyle for your pet, your vet will have the answer! Each dog has different needs and your vet can provide more information and tips on how to keep your pet healthy.