8 Foods You Should Avoid Feeding Your Pet

avoidfoods_blog_1.jpg

Certain types of foods are healthy for us, but can be harmful for our pets. Always feed them their own formulated food in order for them to receive the nutrients they need. It's tempting to give them our leftovers, but remember their health is top priority and health issues can easily be prevented. Here are some foods you should avoid feeding your pet: 

  • Bones. Although you may think that dogs love to chew on bones, they can be potentially hazardous for your dog. The bones can choke the dogs and be tough to digest. If you want to give your dog something to gnaw on, dog toys will do just fine! 
  • Chocolate. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is toxic to dogs. Depending on how much chocolate was eaten, your dog may experience symptoms such as pacing, shaking, an increased heart rate and vomiting. If too much is consumed, it can be fatal for your dog. Be sure to keep your dogs away from the Halloween and Easter candy that your kids may have collected during the holidays.
  • Dairy Products. Like humans, some dogs may be lactose intolerant which will cause them to vomit or have diarrhea when they consume dairy products. It is best if you avoid feeding your dog any foods that contain milk to prevent sickness.
  • Grapes and Raisins. These little fruits may seem harmless, but they can be highly toxic to dogs and cause dehydration, loss of appetite, lethargy and vomiting. If too much is consumed, it can cause kidney failure which can be fatal for the animal. Raisins are just as toxic to dogs.
  • Onions. Even just a small amount of onions can poison your dog or cat. Onions contain thiosulphate that can cause hemolytic anemia, which is a condition where red blood cells are damaged. Since onions are a common ingredient in dishes, avoid feeding your dog table scraps to prevent your pets from getting sick.
  • Alcohol. Dogs can get drunk too, but it’s not good for them! The consumption of ethanol can cause alcohol poisoning for dogs. Just like humans, this can cause a depressed central nervous system for dogs as well. If you spill your beer or mixed drink, clean it up before your dog gets to it first.
  • Candy. Oftentimes, candy contains a substitute sweetener called xylitol. This can cause a rapid release of insulin that can result in low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) and hepatic necrosis (liver failure). If you notice that your pet has consumed sweet foods, check the ingredients to see if xylitol was in the product.
  • Caffeinated drinks. Coffee, teas, sodas, and energy drinks all contain caffeine which can be harmful for your pet. Caffeine is a stimulant, which can cause your dog to become to be hyperactive and restless. This can lead to an increased heart rate, vomiting, diarrhea, and increased thirst.

We know, it’s hard to resist their cute puppy eyes when we’re eating, but the safest bet is to feed them treats that are meant for dogs! They’ll love it just as much and their bodies will thank you for that. Don’t forget to clean up after yourselves after meals to prevent your dogs and cats from eating your scraps!


 

Winnie GohComment